In just a few short months, the 22nd Annual Epcot International Food & Wine Festival will kick off its 75-day run, and this year the festival is looking to be better than ever. The culinary geniuses at the Walt Disney World Resort are ready to WOW your taste buds this year with international flavors from around the world and a record 35 Marketplaces. One of my favorite marketplaces to visit during the Food & Wine Festival is the Mexico booth to get the must-have Tacos de Camarón. If you’re like me and can’t wait until the festival this year for your favorite tastes, you can still make many of the recipes from the Marketplace Booths at home!
Mexico Pavilion’s Tacos de Camarón are battered shrimp served with chipotle mayonnaise, pickled onions and Pico de gallo. The marriage of flavors is perfect with just the right amount of spice from the chipotle mayo and the tartness of the pickled onions. With this recipe, you can serve these Tacos de Camarón at your own table – 10 of them to be exact!
Here’s what you will need:
For pickled onions:
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup of water
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
Whisk first four ingredients in a small bowl until sugar and salt dissolve. Place onion in a jar; pour vinegar mixture over. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Can be made two weeks ahead. Drain onions before using.
For the chipotle mayonnaise:
- 2/3 cups mayonnaise
- 7.5 ounce can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Purée chipotle peppers and mix with mayonnaise in a medium bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
For the shrimp:
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound large shrimp (30 shrimp), peeled, deveined and tails removed
You will also need:
Vegetable oil for cooking
- Ten 6-inch four tortillas
- Fresh Pico de gallo
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375º in a deep fryer. A Dutch oven can also be used if a deep fryer is not handy.
- Beat egg white in a small bowl until frothy and light but do not overbeat. Set aside.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, salt, parsley, paprika, baking powder, garlic powder and baking soda in a large bowl. Add water and egg white and mix gently until smooth.
- Add shrimp and toss until fully coated with batter.
- Drop 6 to 8 at a time in the hot oil but do not overcrowd. Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove fried shrimp and drain on paper towel.
Place three shrimp down the middle of the tortilla. Spoon one heaping tablespoon of chipotle mayonnaise on top of the shrimp and top with pickled onion and Pico de gallo. Enjoy with a margarita of your choice or a fruity sangria. Es simplemente delicioso (It’s simply delicious!)
Visit www.capturing-the-magic.com for a preview of the stunning coffee table book, Capturing the Magic and purchase your copy today.
Latest posts by Holly Wiencek (see all)
- Happily Ever After Fireworks Dessert Party - 08/06/2017
- Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast Review - 07/21/2017
- 2017 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival Marketplaces - 07/12/2017