Fall is in full swing! There’s a chill in the air, football roars through your home on the weekends and, if you are anything like me, you are wishing your were at the Walt Disney World Resort taking in some of the wonderful cuisine found all around the property. Right? Well, no worries because we are here to bring you some of your favorite tastes from your favorite place that you can make in your own home. It’s almost like being there!
In one of our many trips to Walt Disney World Resort and a visit to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, we had the pleasure of dining at Boma, one of the three fantastic table service restaurants found at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Boma is located on the ground floor and serves as the Animal Kingdom Lodge’s all-you-care-to-enjoy option. While many of the buffet dining options around the property offer character dining, Boma is centered on the vibrant flavors of African countries combined with American classics, which has made Boma a favorite dining destination among guests.
We venture over to Boma – Flavors of Africa at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge for a bowl of one of their wonderfully warm soups, the Tomato Florentine Soup. Let’s face it, nothing quite says fall like a warm bowl of soup and a nice crusty bread paired with a glass of your favorite wine. While there are several different soups to choose from, the one that made an impression on me as being hearty enough, but not overly heavy, was the Tomato Florentine Soup. It is the perfect soup to serve as a meal on chilly fall day and it’s super easy to make too!
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey great
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 28 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 cups finely diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup cooked pasta of your choice (I used Mickey pasta)
- 12 oz. baby spinach
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey, seasoned salt and pepper. Cook and crumble the turkey breast into small pieces for 5 minutes or until cooked throughly.
- Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic cooking for an additional 3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in chicken stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and oregano. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta and spinach just before serving, stirring to wilt the spinach.
The Tomato Florentine Soup is best served with a warm, crusty bread and an African Cabernet Sauvignon or Petit Pinotage.